BAYVIEW PUBLIC SCHOOL
845 Ottawa St., Midland, ON, L4R 1C9,
September News: Mr. McGaughey’s Class- Kindergarten-Grade 1
I am Mr. McGaughey and I will be your child’s teacher this year. Some of my interests include computers and music. I look forward to meeting you all. If you have any concerns and would like to phone or meet with me, I can be reached at the school at 526-4208.
We have Kindergarten and Grade 1 students in our class.
The Kindergartens come to school Monday, Wednesday and Every other Friday. The grade 1 students come every day.
1) Daily agenda and homework sheets.
The grade 1 agendas have been ordered. They should be here in about 2 weeks.
• The Kindergarten students will be bringing home a printed weekly timetable every day, which contains their homework, upcoming assignments, and important notices. Feel free to use the back of this sheet to communicate with me. I check the agendas every morning.
• During the week each child has a Shared Reading folder which contains songs and poems that we read and sing in class. Your child will bring their Shared reading folder home every weekend to share with you.
• The Kindergartens have a take home reading program where they will be bringing books to read at home beginning at the end of September.
• The Grade 1’s have a Fast Start poetry book which will go home Monday and return to school on Friday.
• There will be a few math and spelling assignments for homework from time to time, and I will mark on your child’s agenda if they need to finish up some of the day’s work.
2) We have 3 main Class rules posted in our room.
Rules for Our Class
1. We respect teachers, other students and their property.
2. We keep our hands, feet and objects to ourselves.
3. We follow teacher directions the first time.
1. Time out in the classroom.
2. Loss of recess or privileges
3. A note or phone call home.
3) Important days to remember in our class.
Monday: Kindergarten students at school, Library,
Songbooks back to school, Fast Start Books go home
Wednesday: Gym, Kindergarten students at school
Friday: Kindergarten students at school, Fast Start books back to school, Songbooks go home.
4) Scholastic Book Orders: Ordering books for your child through Scholastic Book Clubs is a great way to encourage a love of reading, and it also helps to provide extra resources for the classroom. I will be sending out Scholastic order forms in the first week of each month, and they will be due back to school about a week later. The September Scholastic Book order will be due Wednesday September 17.
5) Share and Show
Your child will get the opportunity to share in front of the class once every two weeks. To begin with, I will be sending home a “All about Me Box”. When your child brings home the Me Box, help them to choose 3 or 4 small items or pictures that tell a bit about themselves to put into the box. Then help your child write a brief description about the things they chose in the Me Box Journal. Be sure to send it back the following day, so that we can pass it on to the next child on the list.
Share and Show Schedule
Starting in mid-October, each student will have a weekly opportunity to share one story or item that begins or ends with a certain sound. Ie: a… as in apple or ape. Check on the attached calendar to see your child’s scheduled day.
October 6-17 f… as in finger or leaf
October 20 – 31 s… as in seven or bus
November 3-14 m… as in monster or alarm
November 17- 27 b… as in bacon or club
December 1 -12 t… as in table or light
December 15-19 No Share and show this week
I’m looking forward to a great year teaching your child in Grade 1.
Mr. S. McGaughey
Mr. McGaughey’s Class Webpage
Check our website regularly for news, information and examples of student work.