I am Mr. McGaughey and I will be your child’s grade 2 teacher this year. Some of my interests include computers and music. I look forward to meeting you all. If you have any concerns and would like to phone or meet with me, I can be reached at the school at 322-1281, or you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org . I can be available for meetings before or after school or at our mutual convenience.
1) Daily agenda and homework sheets.
• Your child will be bringing home a weekly timetable every day, which contains their homework, upcoming assignments, and important notices. Feel free to use the back of this sheet to communicate with me. I check the agendas every morning.
• Homework: Your child’s will have a reading log to record the books read at home. There will be a few math and spelling assignments for homework from time to time. I will send mathematics workbooks home weekly, so you can keep track of their progress.
2) We have 3 main Class rules posted in our room.
Rules for Grade 2
1. We respect teachers, other students and their property.
2. We keep our hands, feet and objects to ourselves.
3. We follow teacher directions the first time.
3) Poetry and Songs Booklet: Repeated reading of poems and songs is an excellent way to improve reading fluency. Every other week, I will add one or two new poems to practise in class. On Friday, your child will bring the poetry book home to read together with family members. Remember to return the poetry book home on Monday, so that we can begin our new poems.
4) Scholastic Book Orders: Ordering books for your child through Scholastic Book Clubs is a great way to encourage a love of learning, and it also helps to provide extra resources for the classroom. I will be sending out Scholastic order forms in the first week of each month, and they will be due back to school about a week later. Orders are usually delivered in one to two weeks.
5) Important days to remember in our class.
Monday: Poetry books back to school, Gym- Bring your Gym Clothes
Tuesday: Reading Buddies
Wednesday: Library—Bring your library book, Gym- Bring your Gym Clothes, Hot Dog Lunch $1.25
Friday: Poetry books go home, Pizza Lunch $1.25
I’m looking forward to a great year teaching your child in Grade 2.
Mr. S. McGaughey